How to cure a bad case of writer’s block

So, you’re writing an article for the school newspaper, and it’s going pretty well. You have the document pulled up, you’ve concocted an eloquent title (“Newspaper Article”), and your hands are poised on the keyboard, ready to fly over the letters as inspiration strikes. The only problem? You have no idea what to write about. The journalism club meets in twenty minutes, and you were supposed to write an article, and… oh no!

Well, maybe that’s just me. You probably have never faced that specific scenario. However, everyone has experienced writer’s block in their life. Whether it was writing a poem for English or that history essay you just couldn’t start, the terrible affliction impacts students and writers everywhere. Here’s one writer’s tips for overcoming writer’s block: “Whenever I get writer’s block, I usually just turn my head and look out the window. As unorthodox as it sounds, it triggers random memories I have and produces topics I can use to write my next article. Sometimes, I even get my inspiration from simply just listening to music. I listen closely to the lyrics and think about what they are trying to say. What their message is. If the message is clear and interesting, a topic can be created from that as well.”

Writer’s block is a peculiar thing. It seems to only come when one is facing a deadline or has to complete a specific assignment. That is because writer’s block stems from fear. When writing for yourself, or working on a project days before it is due, the words come easily because there is no pressure. However, the closer you get to that due date, the harder it becomes, because starting a new creative process is scary. You have no idea how it will work out or where you want to go, so no words suddenly spring into your head. Well, though writer’s block seems like a mountain when it’s staring you in the face, here are some tips to overcome it.

First, don’t try to immediately write a polished paper that doesn’t require any editing or rewording. Write badly. You will form your ideas and when you go back to edit, you’ll make it even better. Many people struggle to start a piece of writing because they can’t think of an interesting introduction or find the right words to make it flow. Skip the introduction. Write a disjointed mess full of thoughts. The whole point is to get the words down on paper. 

But what if you don’t have any ideas and honestly don’t know where to start or what topic to write about? My tip for that is to write a stream of consciousness. Sit at the computer or get out a pencil and paper and scribble down whatever pops into your brain. Write down every stray thought and idea, no matter how silly it sounds. Write about random events that happened, or what you think of your friend’s new haircut, or what you want to have for dinner. After a while, it will become easier to write. If you’re just writing any inconsequential thoughts, the pressure is alleviated from writing a beautiful essay. And this is when your ideas will come! They were in your subconscious all along, but you just had to find them by letting your mind wander.

If you’re still stuck staring at a blank white screen and the twelve o’clock deadline is blinking in your face, take a break. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but it may be the best thing you can do. Sitting in front of the computer isn’t going to magically generate ideas if you’ve been infected with writer’s block, as you’ll probably wind up watching random videos on Youtube by the end of the night. Get up and go for a run, or better yet, make yourself a snack (food fuels the brain, you know). Draw a picture, doodle, sing a song, or read a book. Go somewhere else to change your environment. By distracting yourself from the task, you’ve actually helped your mind to focus, and ideas should present themselves. Be sure to keep your computer open and ready to capture any brilliant thoughts before they disappear. 

Finally, talking to someone else could help you move that block from your mind. It could be your friend, your little brother, or your dog, and though it might feel foolish, explaining your problem, talking about your topic, or just going on a rant will let your thoughts flow. It is easier to speak casually to someone you know than to write, so this may help solidify what you want to say. Then when you write it down, you can polish it.

The point is, any of these tips will help you to loosen up. That is the key. Those feelings of pressure, anxiety, and fear are keeping you from writing anything. When you can make your writing process into a natural and fun experience, you will be ready to face your next bout of writer’s block.